Five Honor Awards, four Merit Awards, and nine Honorable Mentions for the 2014 AIA New England Regional Design Awards (American Institute of Architects New England Region) were announced on September 27 at the AIA New England Design Awards Celebration, hosted by AIA Rhode Island at the Rhode Island School of Design Museum Grand Gallery. 222 entries were submitted, and an additional 75 entries were made for the separate AIA New England People's Choice Award. Submissions to the competition were accepted from New England architecture firms for the projects located anywhere in the world and from firms outside New England for buildings located within the region. Architecture firms from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island were among the winners.
- Claire T. Carney Library at University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth in North Dartmouth, MA, by designLAB architects, Boston, MA
- Bay House in Noyac, NY, by Roger Ferris+Partners, LLC, Westport, CT
- 601 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY, by Jacobs Global Buildings, Cambridge, MA
- Seabury Hall Creative Arts Center, Makawao, HI, by Flansburgh Architects, Boston, MA
- U.S. Courthouse, Cedar Rapids, IA, by William Rawn Associates | Architects, Inc., Boston, MA
- Topping Rose House, Bridgehampton, NY, by Roger Ferris+Partners, LLC, Westport, CT
- Stone Barn at a Coastal Farm, Rhode Island, by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- John W. Olver Transit Center, Greenfield, MA, by Charles Rose Architects, Inc., Somerville, MA
- Spencer Brewery, Spencer, MA, by LLT Architects, New York, NY
- Devon Energy Center, Oklahoma City, OK, by Pickard Chilton, New Haven, CT
- Songpa Micro-Housing, Seoul, Korea, by SsD, Cambridge, MA
- Ocean House, Watch Hill, RI, by Centerbrook Architects, Centerbrook, CT
- Gund Gallery, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH, by GUND Partnership, Cambridge, MA
- Concord Riverwalk, West Concord, MA, by Union Studio Architecture & Community Design, Providence, RI
- Bridgewater State University Science and Mathematics Center, Bridgewater, MA, by Payette, Boston, MA
- IRS Northeast Regional Headquarters, Andover, MA, by Jonathan Levi Architects, Boston, MA
- Casco Bay Ferry Terminal, Portland, ME, by Scott Simons Architects, LLC, Portland, ME
- MIT Beaver Works, Cambridge, MA, by merge architects, Boston, MA
People's Choice Award
- Brookline Teen Center, Brookline, MA, by studioMLA Architects, Brookline, MA
The jury was hosted at the Center for Architecture in New York, NY, and jury members were:
- Susan Szenasy, Publisher & Editor-in-Chief of Metropolis Magazine - Head Juror
- Joan Blumenfeld, FAIA, FIIDA, LEED AP, Interior Design Leader, Perkins+Will New York
- Peter Wang, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP, Principal, Gensler New York
- Lance Jay Brown, FAIA, DPACSA, President, AIA New York
The sole judging criterion for the AIA New England Regional Design Awards was design excellence as determined by the jury. The People's Choice Award was chosen by in-person and online voting with nearly 1400 votes cast from the public.
"The jury was excited by the overall high quality of the work submitted," stated Vada Seccareccia, Assoc. AIA, President of AIA Rhode Island and jury liaison. "The jury recognized that architects in the region were tackling some important issues such as how to revitalize urban space and campus planning, and also commended their focus on sustainablity from adapting buildings to respond to climate change and the rise in sea level to energy conservation and site preservation."
The AIA New England Regional Design Awards seeks to recognize the achievements of architecture firms working in New England. The AIA New England Regional Design Awards is hosted each year by a member chapter of the AIA New England Regional Council and the awards program is held in conjunction with the AIA New England Regional Conference.
For more information, contact Jennifer Zolkos at 401-272-6418, .