SMMA: Senior Construction Specification Writer
SMMA has an incredible opportunity for a Senior Construction Specification Writerto join our internal Specifications Group.
We are a mid-sized, 220-person integrated design firm that provides a diverse perspective of design thinking and engineering to engage with the complexity of today’s projects. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
Working alongside a Project Manager and Project Architect, the specifier will connect with the design team, provide new ideas, and share knowledge that advances each project and the firm’s mission.
This role will support the firm’s commitment to quality design and documentation. SMMA will consider in-person, hybrid, and remote possibilities for this role.
- Write the architectural technical specifications, for each phase of the project, based on decisions made and information furnished by the Project Manager and Project Architect.
- Coordinate the specifications among our internal disciplines and consultant’s specifications, with respect to format, and language.
- Coordinate and write Uniformat specifications for schematic design.
- Coordination of the Project Manual for construction documents from firm’s Master specifications and MasterSpec, using MasterFormat templates.
- Coordinate contracting, bidding, and front-end documents for review by clients.
- Undertake research as agreed upon with Project Architect. Review drawings for coordination with specifications.
- Review specifications prepared by project engineers and by consultants for coordination with the Project Manual.
- Prepare and coordinate addenda. Assist in responding to RFI’s.
- Assist in evaluating submittals and requests for substitutions. Assist in interpreting the specifications during Construction Administration.
- Assist Specifications Group Leader in maintaining specification masters appropriate to different project types and project delivery types. Assist in educating staff in coordination and use of specifications.
- Conduct product research to maintain the firm’s Master Specification. Research available guide specifications, spec production software, and manufacturers’ guide specifications.
- Understanding of MasterSpec and MasterFormat specification systems.
- Understanding of AIA contracts, forms, and documents.
- CSI-Certification: CDT, CCS, CCCA, CCPR, or other involvement in the Constructions Specifications Institute.
- Architectural or construction education, and more than 10 years’ experience working on projects in architectural or construction capacity.
- Excellent written, graphic, and verbal communication skills
- Strong word processing skills and Internet search and retrieval skills.
Pluses: Registered Architect or Registered Engineer
Background in USGBC/LEED or other sustainability rubric systems.
Background in Revit or other BIM modeling software.
Background in SpecsIntact or other specifications software.
About the Firm
SMMA is one of New England’s most unique design firms due to our composition, reputation, and focus. Cambridge-based since our incorporation in 1955, we offer an integrated, multidisciplinary environment driven by collaboration between architects, engineers, technologists, researchers, and industry experts. We focus on building lasting relationships with strategic partners in both the public and private markets.
As an employee-owned firm, we believe that good ideas are welcome from anywhere. Our work straddles seven markets—Corporate, Commercial, Life Science, Federal Government, Higher Education, K-12, and Advanced Technology—with the opportunity to work across a wide range of projects and specialisms. We offer a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that promotes intellectual and creative growth.
SMMA was founded by MIT and Rensselaer alumni who believed that the balance of architecture, engineering, interiors, and site design afforded clients the agility of a single source of creative and technical expertise. Today, we remain dedicated to this flexible, integrated approach. We are guided by a shared pursuit of design excellence, sustainability, and social responsibility.
- Employee-owned firm with Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Hybrid work-from-home policy
- Competitive benefits including paid time-off, company-funded MA Paid Family and Medical Leave, company-paid dental plan, company-paid life insurance, and 401(K) matching
- Employee Assistance Program (includes confidential emotional support, legal guidance, and financial resources)
- Mentor/protégé program
- Educational reimbursement
- Licensure and membership reimbursement
- “Lunch and Learns” with internal and external speakers