- This event has passed.
CEU: Air Source Heat Pumps Best Practices
Wed April 12 at 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Offered by Rhode Island Energy
For more information and to Register
Engineering RCEP, AIA and Building Official 1PDH or 1CEU available
April 12, 2023 AM Session: CLEAResult David Parker – Residential Air Source Heat Pumps Course Description: The recent shift to electrification and better performing homes has resulted in increased popularity of air source heat pumps. As the industry shifts, both builders and homeowners need to understand the basic principles behind this technology to effectively provide adequate heating, cooling and dehumidification i their homes. This presentation will cover four primary topics:
- Energy Code and Critical Control Layers
- Air Source Heat Pump Principles
- System Design
- Mechanical Ventilation
PM Session: Viessmann – Combustion Theory
This presentation will explore the combustion process and how it affects condensing boiler performance. The following focus topics will be discussed: The combustion process and how it varies with a change in the fuel, the role of excess air and how it affects boiler efficiency, how combustion is analyzed and what the readings mean, and the relationship between excess air and flue gas dew point. We will also discuss Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), how it is formed, and how do we minimize it.
- Describe the process of combustion to include the effects of using the various fuels: Natural Gas, Propane, and Oil.
- Explain excess air as related to the combustion process, including its effect on sensible heat loss
- Describe the relationship between excess air, CO2 level, O2 level and Lambda
- Explain the relationship between excess air and dew point
- Describe under what conditions NOx is formed and how it can be controlled.
AM Sessions will be followed by a tour of Viessmann’s residential and commercial Boiler Room training labs, and rooftop solar array.
A complimentary lunch will then be provided.
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM – Registration & Introduction to Viessmann in the foyer
9:30 AM – 11:00 AM – Session
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Tour of Residential & Commercial Boiler Room training labs and rooftop solar array
12:00 PM – 2:00 PM – Session #2 (with complimentary lunch)
Please choose only one day, April 12 or 13.