In September 2017, the Board created the new Morse Stone Fellowship, named after the Chapter’s first two Presidents Alpheus C. Morse, FAIA, and Alfred E. Stone, FAIA.
The Board felt the contribution of these two architects to the profession and the chapter was of invaluable service during its formative years, and should be celebrated today, in the spirit of fellowship that the AIA was founded to foster.
Similarly the Board felt past officers, especially chapter presidents should be encouraged to continue to promote fellowship and mentorship within the chapter, even after their terms in office conclude. The Board has decided to confer fellowship on all past Chapter Presidents. Furthermore, starting this year, the Board begins a practice of conferring fellowship for Presidents upon completion of their term, and other deserving members.
While a fellowship such as this is new to the Chapter, AIA National has two similar fellowships: the Richard Upjohn, FAIA (first national AIA President), and the Louise Bethune, FAIA (first American woman known to have worked as a professional architect). The intent of this fellowship is to model it after it’s national predecessors.
Alpheus C. Morse, FAIA
Alpheus C. Morse, FAIA (1818-1893) was a founding member, and the first president of AIA Rhode Island in 1875, serving until 1884.
• Thomas F. Hoppin House, 383 Benefit St., Providence (1853)
• Merchants Bank Building, 20 Westminster St., Providence (1855–57)
• Rogers Hall, Brown University, Providence (1862)
• Sayles Hall, Brown University, Providence (1879–81)
• Henry T. Beckwith House, 68 Brown St., Providence (1883)
Alfred E. Stone, FAIA
Alfred E. Stone, FAIA (1834-1908) was the second president of AIA Rhode Island in 1884, serving until 1890, and three terms thereafter: 1895-1896, 1899-1900, and 1907-1908.
• Zachariah Allen House, 1 Magee St., Providence (1864) – Now Brown’s Faculty Club.
• Ambrose E. Burnside House, 314 Benefit St., Providence (1866)
• Owen Building, 101 Dyer St., Providence (1866, 1877)
• Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument (Pedestal), Kennedy Plaza, Providence (1871)
• Elizabeth Building, 100 N. Main St., Providence (1872)
• Jerothmul B. Barnaby House, 299 Broadway, Providence (1875)
• Providence Union Station, 36 Exchange Ter., Providence (1896)
• Providence Public Library, 150 Empire St., Providence (1896) – Opened in 1900