- This event has passed.
Webinar: Duro Last presents, Labor Shortage Solution: Specifying a Factory-fabricated Roofing Membrane
Tue May 19, 2020 at 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Zoom Registration required
Course Description: In a perfect world, the architect designs a building and the contractor builds it, accurately and on time, with all the skilled labor necessary. In the real world, the supply of skilled construction labor ebbs and flows. Today is has ebbed. The scarcity of skilled labor drives up costs and drives down quality as crews rush from project to project in a quickening market. This course is about how skilled labor shortages are affecting construction timetables and quality, with a focus on the roofing industry, and how a solution that architects can specify – factory-controlled, prefabricated membrane roofing systems that install onsite in a fraction of the time and with fewer workers – is helping solve the problem.
- Discuss the decline of skilled building labor in the United States and its effect on building quality and durability.
- Explain the history and benefits of a controlled factory setting for building components that decrease faulty onsite installation.
- Discuss studies of roof failures that show that most moisture intrusion and uplift problems occur because of installation errors.
- Describe how single-ply membrane roofing assemblies work for quality control and increase durability.
- List case studies where prefabricated membrane roofing saved labor time onsite, decreased disruptions to building occupants, and increased durability of the roof and health and comfort for the occupants.