- This event has passed.
Webinar: Huber Engineered Woods LLC presents, Code Recognized Magnesium Oxide (MgO) Panels Applications for Acoustic and Fire Rated Systems
Wed February 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Zoom Registration required
Course Description: Acoustical control and fire resistance are two primary code requirements for commercial buildings. An emerging product solution that is proving successful is Magnesium Oxide (MgO) panels for wall and floor/ceiling assemblies. This course investigates specifically MgO wall and floor/ceiling applications in Type III and V construction. In this course, you will investigate the design and construction process for MgO panels in code recognized assemblies. The course begins with a description of the material and its properties, and its code compliance characteristics related to acoustical performance and fire resistance. Installation procedures and discussed, and comparisons made to alternative systems such as wet-laid gypsum underlayment.
After completion of this course, participants will be equipped to:
• Identify the physical characteristics of magnesium oxide (MgO) panels in terms of their makeup and basic performance attributes for use in floor and wall assemblies and implement MgO based assemblies in multifamily/commercial projects.
• Investigate the fire-resistance capabilities and testing standards that demonstrate the ability for MgO panels to provide fire-resistance in buildings.
• Assess the acoustical capabilities of MgO panels in terms of meeting or exceeding code requirements for multifamily buildings.
• Compare and contrast the use of MgO structural panels with other floor underlayment options, particularly wet-laid gypsum.
• Provide best practice guidance when specifying MgO panels in code recognized assemblies.